Monday, May 21, 2007

Being the science geek that I am... I think this is so cool. These are the little guys that make that loud ringing noise on those dog days of summer... they're so loud!!! I've thought these little guys were so cool ever since I was a little girl. And their life cycle is so CRAZY!

Billions of periodical cicadas are supposed to show up this month in parts of the Midwest after spending 17 years underground!!! As nymphs they burrow underground and suck sap from tree roots. 17 years!!! How old were you 17 years ago???
Don't worry... they're nice.

5 notes:

Sean, Kelli & Jonah said...

I learned something new from you today Le, I love it that you are a nerd. You are going to make an amazing teacher someday, soon i hope!

Gabriel & Rachel said...

I love the pic. It looks like something you'd see in a National Geographic. Thanks for the nerdy info. I can't wait to hang with all of you soon because I have a life again now that Crew is finished! Yea!
~Ra

Tom, Lauren and Madilyn said...

Great shot!! This is such a cool fact. I once won 30 bucks with this random bit of knowledge. :) The other person didn't believe that they actually spent that amount of time just waiting to bug this crap out of us for an entire summer. :) No really, they are so neat. Thanks for the cool fact dear!!

Kris & Leanne said...

im sorry. i can't let ya'all believe i took this picture. i stole it from another web site... i wish i had a camera this amazing!

Jill,Drew, Ella too... said...

Leanne - you are a dork - I love it: ) That actually is pretty cool & a sweet picture.